Is there a case here for medical malpractice/wrongful death?

My brother who was 40 yrs old and developed shortness of breath and chest pain with exercise. He saw two physicians, a pulmonologist and an allergist who treated him for asthma. He saw them more than 25 times over 6 months and had pul. function testing three times. He never got better. He then collapsed and died when out running. An autopsy showed he had a 99% occluded coronary artery.

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not the heirs of your brother have a case for possible wrongful death due to medical malpractice depends upon whether or not an expert physician can give an opinion that your brother's former physicians fell below the standard of care in treating him.

As such, I recommend that members of your family consult with a medical malpractice attorney about the matter that you have written about to see if he or she believes that there is the possibility of a medical malpractice case and if so, then a medical expert will have to be retained to review your brother's medical records.

From what you have written, there is a possibility of medical malpractice with respect to the passing of your brother.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.