Is an Acknowledgement of Paternity reversible if both parties knowingly perjured themselves on it?

If my ex-fiance and I knowingly perjured ourselves when signing the Acknowledgement Of Paternity because he is not the biological father of my son, and he has now decided he wants to be taken off the birth certificate and all other official forms, is that possible for him to do? And if it is, what kind of trouble will we get in for lying on a legal document and sworn statement signed in front of a legal aid at the hospital directly after the birth?

Asked on July 7, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You actually have two parts to your question.  The first is how to get his name off of everything.  To be officially declared "not the dad", one of you would need to file a suit called a "suit affecting parent-child relationship", also known as a SAPCR.  Presumptively, he will be considered "dad".  But that presumption can be reversed by conclusive evidence, like DNA testing. 

The second part of your question is regarding the legal documents and personal liabiity for lying in them.  If you lied with intent to harm or defraud someone else or an agency, then you have a bigger chance of getting into trouble.  This would be in a situation where you signed off and got free benefits because you signed the affidavit incorrectly.  Practically speaking, very few people have gotten in trouble for saying someone is dad when they are not-- because the intent is usually just to give the child a name, not to get anything extra from anyone.  In fact, once a second parent enters the picture, some governement benefits actually decline. 

At this point, your focus should really be setting the record strait and preparing your child for the possibility that real dad may be entering the picture soon-- because the court could potentially involve the biological dad in the SAPCR discussed above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.