Is the insurer of the person that caused my wreck required to put OEM parts back on my car?

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Accident Law, Alabama


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Technically the insurance company is required to put you back in the same position you were in prior to the accident, meaning they should be doing the repair with parts that are comparable to the parts that were on your vehicle at the time of the accident.  There is no requirement that they be OEM parts.  However, you can request the body shop provide an estimate that includes OEM parts.  Whether or not the insurance company will accept that depends upon many factors, including the policy which is being used to make the repairs. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.