Is the hospital and my work insurance entitled to get my whole accident settlement check?

The hospital and my insurance on my job
had a lean put on my accident settlement
check. Is that possible?

Asked on September 13, 2017 under Accident Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If what the hospital is owed and what the insurer paid out for you equaled or exceeded the settlement, then yes, they could get the whole thing. A hospital or medical care provider is entilted to be paid; an insurer can recover the monies it paid to you or on your behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.