Isa homeowner responsible for an intoxicated partier that got into an accident after leavinga houseparty?

Home party supplied alcohol to 4 girls; 3 not legal to drink. They left the house party, all 4 intoxicated, and got into a vehicle accident 1 block away. While getting out of the vehicle 1 girl got hurt. The driver got a DUI and Assault because the girl said that she got hurt in an accident so she could leave and not receive minor in possession. The driver’s insurer has paid for the girl’s medical bills. Does the homeowner who had the house party have any financial responsibility to help the driver with costs associated with this mess?

Asked on December 31, 2010 under Personal Injury, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This question raises the issue of Social Host liability.  It is my understanding that if a person serves alcohol to a minor that is not their child or of which they are not a legal guardian they can be held criminally liable on many levels.  First, for serving the minor, which is obvious.  Next, if the person is visibly intoxicated and causes injury to a third party once they leave your home, you could also be held liable.  There is more to this rule and there is an exception as well.  I think that the best thing for you to do is to consult with a personal injury attorney who is familiar with the Social Host liability laws in your state.  Consultation should be free.  Good luck.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the homeowner could face financial responsibility. Oregon has a "social host" law which makes a social host responsible if either (1) he or she provided alcohol to a "visibly intoxicated guest" or (2) to a minor, if a reasonable adult would have either known the minor was a minor, or at least required/requested ID to check age. So if either the driver was obviously intoxicated or the homeowner either knew, should have known, or was careless in not knowing the driver's age, then the homeowner could be liable. The standard is similar to the standard for evaluating when a bar might be liable for serving a guest. Here is a link to a website which you may find helpful or informative:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.