Is the executor obligated to inform the beneficaries that he/she is being paid out of the estate for “executor services”?

Uncle passed away 11 months ago. Took his living siblings 8 months to notify heirs of his death (something else I need to investigate). Will wasn’t introduced into probate until 4 months ago. Is the executor obligated to tell the beneficiaries if he/she is being paid from the estate for services and how much he/she is being paid? Although estate has not been settled (monetary distributions have not been made) are beneficiaries entitled to know what has been paid out of the estate to date?

Asked on February 26, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation and for your loss.  It is indeed odd that you were not notified of his death a lot sooner but the length of submission to probtate is not necessarily subject.  Now, a probate proceeding is a public record so you can see what is happening in the court's file.  Unless the Will states that the executor is not to receive compensation they are permitted under state statutes to it.  So they do not have to notify you of that specifically.  Now, you can ask - and an executor has to give - an accounting of the estate which lists what happened and where the money came from and went.  And you should get a closing statement as well.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.