Is the auto insurance company of the drunk that hit my house required to pay my medical bills?

My home was struck by a drunk driver and he tore up my landscaping. While the cops were arresting the drunk I was showing another officer the damage that was caused by the vehicle. When show the damage to the officer I stepped in one of the tire ruts near my home and because of the rain at the time and the driver causing the rut, I fell and tore a tendon in my ankle. Is it possible to make his insurance pay for my medical?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Personal Injury, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If there was an incident at your home casued by a drunk driver and you suffered personal injuries as the direct result of this driver in addition to property damage (torn tendon) you have a viable basis for reimbursement of your medical bills in addition to the property damage from the insurance carrier of the drunk driver.

I would send  written letter to the insurance carrier with all receipts and medical records setting forth your claim for reimbursement. If the carrier refuses to pay you the demand, your option is to directly sue the person who caused the damages.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.