Is someone allowed to come onto my patio and remove the motorcycle cover to inspect its license plate tag?

I live in an apartment complex and have a motorcycle with an expired license tag and I received a warning that the bike could be towed if I don’t get a new one. I parked it on my back patio and used a motorcycle cover that completely covers it from top to bottom, front to back. Is someone allowed to come onto my patio and remove the motorcycle cover to inspect its license plate tag? Or would this be considered invasion of privacy?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is not an invasion of privacy, but it would be trespassing--from what you write, they came onto your property without permission or authority to do so. If you know who did this, you could report them to the police for trespassing. You could technically also bring a civil action against the person, though unless you suffered some loss or damage from their actions, it would not be worthwhile--there's nothing to sue for. On the other hand, if their actions did cause you some loss or damage--e.g. the motorcycle and/or cover was damaged in some way--you could sue them for the loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.