Is my roommate still obligated to pay her share of the utilities if she moves out?

My roommate moved out to live with her boyfriend and has yet to find a sublet. Both of our names are on the lease and the utilities. She paid her share of all the bills for the first month, then said she was not going to pay the utilities anymore. She has not contacted me since I asked her if she was going to pay them after she talked to a lawyer.

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a roommate that signed a lease for a rental that you two were to share but she moved out and has not paid her share of the rent, she is obligated to do so. The reason is that there is an express if not implied agreement between you and her that she is obligated to make sure her payments are current on the lease regardless of the fact that she most likely has a signed lease with the landlord for the rental.

I would write her of the need to make her share of the rental payments keeping a copy for future need. If she does not pay her share of the rent you most likely will have to cover her share.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.