Is my purchase contract null and void if my lender does not have my financing approved by the date on contract?

Contract states that I has until 2 days ago to obtain financing. However, due to circumstances out of my control, I didn’t have a final approval although I had been working with the lender to

clear up a small issue to finalize the funding. Also, my agent did not ask for an extension of the date.

Asked on June 2, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your contrsct let you cancel the sale by a certain date in the event you did not get financing, but you did not do so and the date has passed ("2 days ago"), then, unfortunately, the contract is not null and void, is in effect, and you are obligated to it. Those "finance contingencies" or "mortgage contingencies" in home purchase contracts are not automatic; rather, they require you to affirmatively exercise them by providing notice, prior to the contingency date, that you are exercising your right to withdraw or terminate the the deal due to a failure to obtain financing. If you fail to do so by the date in the agreement, you will be locked into the contract, unless the seller agrees to voluntarily let you out. It does not matter the failure to obtain financing was due to.circumstances beyond your control: it is your responsibility to get the financing or to properly exercise the contingency in time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.