Is my existing Will legal in another state?

Asked on October 16, 2015 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, if you move to another state you need execute a new Will. As long as it was valid in the state in which you executed it, it wiis valis in your new state of residence. However, since the laws of all states vary, if you move it makes sense to have your Will reviewed by an attorney there. Sometimes, for example, there are different processes to "prove" a Will or the new state may permit probate matters to be handled less formally and expensively, depending on the wording of the Will. Also, if your Will was executed in a state that does not have a community property system and you move to a community property states, it would be wise to contact an attorney there in order to determine whether or not the Will should be redrafted to achieve your intended results.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.