How to find outif my license suspended?

I got a DUI in FL 14 months ago. I was never licensed in FL so they said they’d revoke my license in IL. Well it’s been months and apparently I was supposed to get a “packet” from IL but when I called to receive it, they’ve said my license is still valid and they can’t send me a packet for something I don’t need. So what’s the deal? Am I supposed to be licensed? I’ve called the DMV, the state of IL driving records and even FL.

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your driver's license may have been suspended as a direct result of a drunk driving conviction in Florida, you need to write Florida's and Illinois' Departments of Motor Vehicles a letter making inquiries as to the status of your driver's license. Keep a copy of your letter for future reference.

If you were not required at any point in time to turn in your driver's license by any court, then most likely your driver's license may not have been suspended. The best way to get some clarity as to your question is to retain a Florida attorney to look into the status of the presumed conviction that you have written about.

Potentially the court where the charges against you were pending may have an online website where you can pull up information remotely concerning it.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.