Is my landlord allowed to pop in my apartment whenever he pleases?

Asked on September 12, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, your landlord may not do this. When you lease, you gain possession of the unit your landlord may own it, but he does not possess it while you are leasing. You are also given a right to "peaceful enjoyment," which is the right to use the residence without undue or unreasonable disruption. 
The landlord has certain limited rights to enter your unit without notice, for an emergency fire, large leak, etc. with at least 24 hours notice, at reasonable time, and not too often, for maintenance, to inspect its condition, or to show for prospective buyers or tenants.
However, apart from the above, the landlord may not "pop into" your unit at anytime. If he does, he is violating the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment and you may have grounds to terminate your lease without penalty if he keeps doing this after you provide written notice to him send it some way you can prove deliver to stop. If you are thinking of going this route, be sure to carefully document whenever he does come in you may also wish to consider putting in a "nanny cam" aimed at the front door, to record when he comes in especially is he does so when you are not home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.