Is my homeowners insurance responsible for an injury that happened on my property that required stitches but the wound became infected for unknown reasons?

Possibly something the doctor did or did not do or even because it wasn’t cared for properly at home. This should have been simple stitches that resulted in major medical problems and major expenses Am I responsible for all of this?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Personal Injury, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A homeowner--and so, by extension, his or her homeowner's insurance--is only liable for an injury if it was caused by the homeowner's action (e.g. hitting someone) or negligence (unreasonable carelessness, such as in not fixing a broken step, not filling in a ditch, etc.). If the homeowner was not at fault in some way, he or she should not be liable for any injuries.

Even if the homeowner is at fault, he or she would only be liable for the direct consequences of the fault--and not for later injuries due to another's fault, such as due to medical malpractice. The injured person should proceed against the medical care provider for any injuries or costs due to malpractice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.