How do I know if my debt is past the reporting statute of limitations and how can I fix it?

I was informed that I owed a debt from 7 yearrs ago. The collection company informed me that they acquired the account 4 months so that is the new account open date. My state allows 6 years for the statute of limitations.

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Sounds fishy to me.  First write to the collection agency and ask for a "validation of the debt" which includes a copy of the priginal contract evidencing the debt, a copy of their agreement "acquiring the debt" and a complete transaction history of the debt.  Then call you state attorney general's office and file a complaint.  Their aquisition would not "toll" - extend - the statute to your detriment.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.