Is my brother entitled to compensation as executor of my mother’s will if the will did not go to probate?

Her property was mostly CD’s and IRA’s. I received the bulk of my inheritance in the form of a bank transfer. There is one account left to disperse. State law allows for 5% compensation for executor up to $100,000, 4% for all above $100,000 and not exceeding $400,000.

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Estate Planning, Washington


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the will did not go to probate and petition to administer the estate was not filed, then your brother is not entitled to any executor fee. However, the account that does not seem to pass you directly outside of the estate, may be subject to a petition to administer the estate, as to that one asset. Obtain yourself legal assistance to guide you through resolution of this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.