Is it wrong for a doctor to prescribe you at least 4 times the safe dose of medication for 12 years or more?

This caused nerve, mental and physical damage.

Asked on August 14, 2014 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If a doctor prescibed you an inappropriate or unsafe dose of medicine, he or she would usually be considered to have committed malpractice and could be liable for any/all of your medical costs caused by that; lost wages or reduced earning potential; "pain and suffering" if you have suffered permanent or long-lasting impairment or disability; and other costs directly traceable to the wrong dosage's effects, such as the cost of a home health aide, if you now need one.

There are probably some cases where, for an individual patient, a higher-than-normal dose of medicine is appropriate; but unless that was the case here--and from what you write, it seems like it was not--you may well have a malpractice case. It would be worthwhile for you to consult with a medical malpractice attorney--many provide free initial consultations, and you can check that an attorney does before making the appointment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.