Is it worth taking my husband back to court for more money, withnew information I now have regarding his finances?

I am a single mother living with my 2 sons. I was divorced 3months ago via a mediation attorney; the divorce is final in5 months. I know for a fact, that my ex is living in a $1.4 M home. He knew for a fact that he would have a roommate as soon as I left with our kids. He has also made lavish purchases, and “bragged” to family, that he “fudged” the paper to not have to pay me more. It is so wrong.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is indeed wrong and yes, you should consider setting aside the settlement agreement entered in to in the mediation based upon the theories of fraud and misrepresentation.  Generally those financial affidavits are sworn to (notarized) so he also committed perjury.   I think that you need help here form a really good attorney and private investigator who can help uncover the inconsistencies in his affidavit.  You may have to start subpoenaing bank records and employment records, etc.  That alone may be enough to have him cough up more money voluntarily.  No one likes their life pulled apart like that.  How he could do this to the kids is especially horrible. Good luck to you and to the kids. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.