Is it worth contacting a lawyer for extremely inferior autobody repair work that cost over $4000?

I recently paid over $4000 (out of pocket) for autobody work, and the repair work was extremely shoddy (excess space bet bumper and main body of car, side molding detaching from car & damage remaining to a portion of my car). I’ve taken it back to the repair shop 3 x’s and they continue to tell me it’s either “normal settling” or not damage done during my accident (never had an accident before in my car). I’ve started a complaint with the BBB however it’s been 7 days and no response as yet, while my car continues to come apart.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If a repair shop does unprofessional or substandard work on your vehicle, they could potentially be liable under one or more of the following: a negligence theory (they were unreasonably careless in doing the work), breach of contract theory (they did not provide the service they contracted to), and/or fraud theory (they misrepresented, or lied about, what they could or would do). For $4,000, it would be worthwhile consulting with an attorney to explore your options and possible recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.