Is it unlawful for me to release information to a parent about a daycare’s negligence to safety and inadequate training after I was fired?

There was a child who had a severe peanut allergy who could die in moments after exposure and I was told that we were not to keep or give any medication which was against his parents wishes. I asked the office 2 or 3 times about this with no answer as to how to handle the situation. In an emergency, I was expected to get that child and 4 other toddlers to the front office in enough time to save his life without any help and without leaving the any baby unattended for any amount of time. Impossible. Is it illegal for me to come forward and tell the parents this? I was scared to get fired before.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written there would be nothing illegal for you to report to a parent of a facility that you worked at about improper procedures with respect to minor children. You need to realize that the parent may consider you some disgruntled former employee.

If you truly have concerns about the safety procedures of the facility that you worked at you should make a complaint with the local department of child services about the problems that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.