If I have to work split shifts, am I entitled to extra pay for needing to come to go twice a day?

I com e in for the AM shift and th the PM shift. I have to pay bridge fare twice and I do this 3 days a week.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are entitled to extra pay for bridge fair but if you are working shifts that wind up creating overtime for you or additional time off, you need to address this. Contact your state labor department and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to see if there are steps that need to be taken regarding your additional monies owed to you or time off owed to you. Keep clear records of your time and ensure you show these to the agencies who may be able to help you with this endeavor. Your employer cannot fire you for whistleblowing but you need to make sure you do keep accurate records for your own protection.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.