Is it the landlord’s responsibility to get rid of fleas outside my home and a dead cat underneath my house?

My grandmother lives in a duplex and a lot of stray cats are around her house (which she hates), because of the alley behind her house. There are fleas outside and now one has died underneath her apartment, and has the whole house smelling.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The landlord does have to get rid of the dead cat underneath the apartment, since that is affecting health and habitability--the smell, and possibly disease, is getting into the apartment from it. All rentals have what's called the "implied warranty of habitability," or the obligation on the landlord to make sure the premises are fit for inhabitation. A dead cat under the premises, with attendent smell and health risks, would seem to violate this obligation.

The landord would also have to exterminate fleas inside the home, again as part of this implied warranty.

The landlord does not need to address fleas in an alley outside the home, unless the alley is part of the landlord's property--if it is, it should be covered by the implied warranty, but if it is city property or belongs to a different property owner, the landlord does not have obligations in regards to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.