Is it possible to switch a land property title from “and” to “or” in order to allow just one person to act upon an eviction?

My brother and I both have our names on the title to our land. We wish to evict a family member who lives on the property. However, while I am in agreement to the eviction, I really want nothing to do with it. As in, I don’t want my name on any of the paperwork. I am wondering if it were possible to switch it from “and” to “or” so that my brother may continue with the eviction if he so wishes and so that I will not be required to sign the papers.

Asked on March 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

That is not really how land is held.  And if it were I would be worried that it would actually compromise your ownership.  Plus changing title means re filing the deed and that could be very costly.  Listen: dealing with family is a veyr touchy thing and I think that you know that.  That is why you should consider trying to resolve this amicably if you can.  Otherwise in for a penny, in for a pound.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.