Is it possible to sue a domestic partner for partial ownership of a business that is in just one partners name?

I have been of utmost importance in the building of a business my soon to be ex domestic partner own in his name. Aside from wage free labor, I have provided all key means of growth-financial contributions from my family, renovation work, networking, marketing- literally it would not be open if not for my personal contributions or those made by my family and friends. (not joint friends etc). I even have written every revision of the business plan! I have many more supporting facts and documents as well.

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Business Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From the sparse facts that you have written concerning the contributions that you made to the business held in the name of your domestic partner, it would appear that under the laws of all states that you would have a factual and a legal basis for an equity interest in this business.

If documentation will not be voluntarily provided to you by the domestic partner for an interest in the business, you should consult with a business attorney to see what you legal recourse is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.