Is it possible to sue a condo association for invasion of privacy

I own a property in a 55 and over condo association. My boyfriend is not 55. I rented a lot here for him to park his motor home. We go back and forth between both homes. The condo manager and board are questioning whether we live together or not. I would like to know if they’ve invaded my privacy by even questioning the fact. The board may even say he can’t stay based on what they think is going on. Do they have the right to monitor where we spend our time?

Asked on January 4, 2018 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no lawsuit for invasion of privacy for asking about your living arrangements: the law does not give you a protectible privacy interest in that, and anyone could inquire about who you live with, how, and where.
Moreover, they have a legitimate interest in looking into the situation, since it is a 55 and over community: typically, those under 55 cannot live there unless actually married to someone who is over 55 or a live-in aide/caregiver (or sometimes is the adult child of a 55-and-over person, living with his/her parent). In moving into a 55 and over community, you bound yourself to certain rules, and the condo association may make inquiries and take steps to enforce them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.