Is it possible to obtain a power of attorney over my brother for criminal process?

My brother has been charged with murder and waiting for trial. Is it possible for
me to obtain power of attorney over my brother so his attorney will be able to share
details of his case with me as well?

Asked on April 8, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Power of attorney would be inapplicable because attorney/client privilege prevents an attorney from disclosing confidential communications in the attorney/client relationship unless your brother waives attorney/client privilege and consents to you being informed about his case. Your brother's consent should be in writing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.