Is it possible to obtain legal records that show only convictions and exclude expunged and dismissed offenses?

I won a nationally competitive scholarship. I have to submit details of any misdemeanor conviction I’ve ever had. I submitted my driving on a suspended license charge to them, and, though they said that it won’t be an issue, want documentation of the offense. I was originally arrested for DUI 5 years ago but most of the charges were dismissed, and the remaining 2 were set aside pursuant last year. I would like to obtain a copy of my records stating my suspended license conviction, and nothing else.

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak to an attorney to see what appears on your record. Your record may still include the dismissed charges but keep in mind that unless these records are expunged, it may still appear on your record as a dismissal. The attorney will help you to recognize whether these charges will be reported or are already reported and whether you need to amend your application to show the dismissal. Talk with the police department to see if a limited record can be produced regarding your license suspension.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.