Is it possible to legally disown my brother?

In terms of him not being listed on any official document as my sibling or relative? This also includes if something were to happen to him as well (i.e. a life threatening car accident, etc). I’ve verbally explained to him I want nothing to do with him but I want to persue legal action as well.

Asked on July 10, 2014 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot change the fact that he is your brother. What you can do is:

1) Given someone else a POA over your affairs in the event you are disabled, with instructions in that document to not do anything with/for your brother, to make sure that if you  are disabled, the court does not appoint your brother to manage your affairs.

2) Similarly appoint someone other than your brother your health care proxy, to make medical decisions for you if disabled.

3) Draw up a will that leaves everything to others and states that your brother gets nothing from you.

4) You could even change your last name legally, to symbollically sever that connection and make it less likely that others will associate the two of you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.