What canI do if my wages are being garnished butI never received notice of the judgement allowing the garnishment?

I was never notified of any lawsuit.

Asked on July 26, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is very difficult to remove a garnishment that is already in place but not impossible.  But it will require that you go to court and attempt to vacate the judgement rendered against you and request that the court issue an order enjoining the creditor from garnishing the wages any longer until the matter is heard before the judge.  Vacating a default requires that you give the court a good reason why you did not respond to the action brought by the creditor and what is known as a meritorious defense in some jurisdictions.  That means a valid reason to defend the case against the creditor.  You are going to need help with all of this.  You can not do it on your own.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.