Is it possible to get out of a contract if you didn’t get the service stated?

I signed up to a online school almost 6 years ago. They stated that your school credits cam be used but in order to process them you needed to send them in with the contract. After they sent books and then said my transcripts were not usable, no explination why but to finish my classes I would need to pay for 3 more years of classes for anotger $1200. I said I didn’t want to do the school and they said since I sent the contract I owed the money. I think its a scam for people and they harrass me all the time and its been 6 or so years.

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you signed the contract 4 years ago and they never sued you, you can ignore their phone calls altogether.  The statute of limitations (period in which a person or company can bring a legal claim) for written contracts is 4 years in CA.  See Cal. Civ. Proc. Code § 312 et seq.  After 4 years, its over.  Their right to collect on the contract is dead.  So unless these people sued you and have a judgment out there, you can ignore their calls.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.