Is it possible to get an ICE hold lifted?

My fiance got a DUI and has a ICE hold. Hes never been in trouble here except this DUI. He has severe back problems and is supposed to be on medication for it. He also has a daughter with another woman. The child also has severe medical issues. She may have to get a feeding tube put in her. Hes also in school. Has been here for 6-7 years. We are engaged. Is there anyway to get ICE or the county jail to lift the hold without him having to go to ICE custody and have him appear in immigration court at another time? His daughter needs him.

Asked on August 19, 2013 under Immigration Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about the chances of getting the custodial hold with respect to your significant other lifted due to him not being legally in the United States seems remote. I suggest that he consult immediately with an immigration attorney to see what his legal options are. One can be found on

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.