Is it possible to get a refund from a college that had clearly lied ?

Hi. I’ve registered to a college recently
a paid a required registration fee. It
was after that that I realize the college
do not have the accreditation that was
mentioned again and again by the
consultant. The college had even
printed in their pamphlet that they had
obtained such accreditation but in fact
they have not. I wished to get my
registration fee back but it had already
been stated in TC that the money is
not refundable nor transferable.. What
can I do? Thanks

Asked on March 31, 2016 under Business Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't matter what they claim about refunds IF they did commit fraud: fraud is knowingly or intentionally lying about a material (i.e. important) fact in order to induce you to register with them, which misrepresentation (or lie) was something you reasonably (or understandably, under the circumstances) relied on. If they did commit fraud--which lying about accredidation likely is--you could sue them for the return of your money with a reasonable chance of success.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.