Is it possible to fight a relocation of my child to another state?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, under the laws of all states in this country you can contest the relocation of your child to another state in this country with the presumed custodial parent. The way to contest such is make a compelling agrument that the child would be better off in the locality where he or she presently is. I suggest that you consult further with a family law attorney for assistance if you wish to contest the relocation.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is possible but more facts are needed here to understand how that can happen.  Were you and the Mother ever married?  Then your ex wife can not move your child out of state either according to your agreement or maybe even state law. But if you were never married then you will need to establish parentage and obtain an order of custody and visitation. I would seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.