Is it possible to cancel an agreement to purchase via email?

I signed an agreement to purchase and I was told that I can cancel until a specific date. Before that date, I sent an email to cancel but the agent was angry saying that I can’t cancel and he didn’t reply immediately he waited until my waiting period was expired then he replied. He now demands $8.55 of the purchase price to be paid to him. Can I contest this or was I supposed to cancel with a formal letter from an attorney?

Asked on February 12, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Look to the contract or agreement to see what the terms regarding cancellation are. If the agreement specifices a particular way to cancel (or to send notices, communications, etc. more generally), you must comply: if you don't cancel the way the agreement the way it indicates, the cancellation would be ineffective. (In signing an agreement which specified a certain way to cancel or communicate, you contractually agreed to use those methods.) But if no particular method of cancellation or communication is specified, then cancellation by email should be effective and you should not owe *any* portion of the purchase price if you cancelled in time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.