Is it possible to appoint a temporary guardian for a disabled person, with the stipulation that guardianship will pass to an underage sibling once said sibling turns 21 (if they so desire)?

Asked on February 7, 2013 under Estate Planning, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a power of attorney can be drafted placing a person as the attoney in fact for the disabled person assuming the disabled person agrees to such where the attorney in fact will cease as of a certain date when an underage sibling turns 21 years of age where such sibling agrees to such a responsibility.

I suggest that a Wills and trust attorney be consulted with respect to your inquiry to draw up the desired documentation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.