Is it possible to annul a disorderly conduct citation without appearing in court? If so, how would one do this?

I was a victim of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. There was a fight that took place in a hotel room and the policie were called. I showed up at the hotel room to meet a friend shortly after the call was made to the police but after the fight had ceased. When the police arrived they gave a citation to everyone in the room. I had no part in the disturbance. I was in DE when I recieved the citation but am from PA. I am 17 years old… not sure if that has any bearing on things. Thanks in advance for your help!

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Delaware lawyer, but I very much doubt that you can avoid appearing in court completely.  It might not be impossible, but it would take some doing, by an experienced attorney.

You would probably have to have sworn statements backing up your story, as you've described it.  You would have to avoid unpleasant surprises, and the prosecutor would have to believe what everyone was telling him about you, and more.  It's a tall order.  The fact that you're 17 might make you eligible for a relatively easy out -- but you'll still have to appear, I think.

Please, get in touch with a Delaware attorney to represent you in this matter, to make sure that your interests are protected to the extent all the facts will allow.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.