Is it possible for me to have my record in another state expunged?

Asked on August 27, 2014 under Criminal Law, Hawaii


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Do you mean that you live in Hawaii but have a record in another state that you wish to have expunged?  Yes you can as long as you meet the requirements of that state for expungement.  Some states - such as New York - do not expunge records.  They seal them.  But understand that certain agencies (such as law enforcement agencies) can still "see" these records in a background check.  Also make sure that you have the arrest record expunged as well.  Many people do not realize that they are two separate records.  And try and find your fingerprints.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.