Is it ok to ask a friend that is a former judge for legal advice…the former judge is now practicing corporate law in a different state

this is in regard to a civil contract case and I feel that my attorney has not performed up to standard and I asked a friend(a former judge) for advice about my case and my attorneys performance and now my attorney wants to excuse himself from this case that he has botched

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Business Law, Virginia


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The general rule is that once a judge leaves public service, and enters the private sector, you may approach the former judge just as you would any other private attorney.  Therefore, the fact that this attorney was once a judge, and happens to be your friend, should have no bearing on whether or not you can ask him or her legal advice.  To the contrary, a friend who was once a judge would probably be an ideal initial person to turn to for legal advice.  If he or she is not able to help you, or feels that there is a conflict in any way, he or she will most likely be able to at the very least point you in the right direction so that you may be able to obtain the appropriate legal counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.