Is it my legal responsibility to hold onto property left with me from a company I was hired by after many attempts to return the items to them?

I work as a freelance film editor. The company that hired me out gave me several hard drives to use for the editing process. They’re based in another state but they had a representative down here at the time of the job to give the hard drives to me. He is no longer here, and I’ve made many attempts by phone, e-mail, text, to return the items (they’re worth a few hundred dollars) since my final invoice 3.5 months ago with no response. I’d like to get rid of it or sell it. Can I legally do this? Am I forced to take care of their stuff indefinitely?

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Despite your attempts to return property that is not yours from a company that you worked for but has not accepted the offers for a return, the best way to rid yourself of the items is to box them and ship them to the company's address cash on delivery.

The items are not yours to keep. You have just returned them by the above suggested method. You are rid of them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.