Is it legal to make me take lunch after working only an hour and a half?

M wife is told to take lunch an hour and a half after starting work. Her boss says its cause she don’t want her in the warehouse by herself so she has to take lunch with the people who started before her. When she works the weekends she is in the warehouse by herself and they don’t say anything to her. Is this legal; if not, what can she do.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this coutnry, employees are required to take certain rest breaks and a lunch break after a period of time after working on the job. From what you have written so long as your wife is paid for all work that she does from her employer there is nothing illegal for her employer to have her take her lunch break after working an hour and a half into her shift.

The explanation for her to do so seems more like a safety issue in the warehouse. If you and your wife have additional concerns about the matter you have written, then perhaps a face to face consultation with an attorney that practices employment law may be helpful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.