Is it legal to leave someone out as a person of interest in a probate matter?

My father was legally separated from his wife and died suddenly in my home. Then 2 months later his wife died in their home. My stepbrother told me that we would deal with this as a family and I was under the assumption we would be combining the probate process. I found out that probate paperwork has been filed for his mother and I have been left me out as a person of interest. Is this legal? What can I do?

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Estate Planning, Vermont


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your losses.  Here is what has happened.  Your step brother really did nothing wrong here.  In fact, under the law, he had no choice.  And you need to obtain legal counsel to explain this in more detail to you.  Here is what I think happened based upon the facts as you have presented them here.  Your Father and Stepmother were separated but owned their house as joint tenants or tenants in common with rights of survivorship.  That means that when he passed away the house passed automatically  - called by operation of law - to her upon his death.  When she passed away it was part and parcel of her estate.  Now, I am assuming that you were not adopted by your step-mother during her lifetime, correct?  Then unless she had a Will that names you as a beneficiary you will not inherit part of her estate.  And you need to probate your Father's estate separately as well.  Please get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.