Is it legal to buy paper goods in large quantity from a wholesaler not manufacturer, then repackage it in small quantity put my company label on it and resell it?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is legal so long as:

1) In buying the goods, you do not agree to terms of sale which preclude re-packaging and re-selling--if you do, then you are contractually obligated to those terms.

2) The goods you are re-packing are not identifiable as orginating from either the wholesaler or manufacturer (e.g. do not have logos or watermarks on them), since if they are identified as coming from another source and you then put your own label on it, you will be implying a relationship between you and the wholesaler or manufacturer which does not exist. Doing so may be a violation of trademark and/or an act of unfair competition (see, e.g. the Lanham Act), depending on exact circumstances.

3) You do not misrepresent the source of the material to consumers or customers (e.g. you do not state that they are only available from you, or were manufactured for  you), since to do so would be consummer fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.