Is it legal to bring a child to work with you?

The child is sitting in a seafood
restaurant next to the fish fryer.

Asked on April 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Absent company policy to the contrary, there is no legal prohibition against this, although depending on the age of the child they could not perform any work. That having been said, if the child is injured on the premises, then they employer may be liable under a negligence claim if it knowingly allows the child near the deep fryer. Additionally, the child's parent could be charged with child endangerment.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal--it is not required, and the employer could (and probably should) refuse to allow the child to be brought to work, but it is legal. The situation you describe is unwise, since it is dangerous to sit any child who is not a mature, self-controlled teen near a fryer; if the child is injured or injures another, the employer could potentially be liable due to the negligence, or unreasonable carelessness, in allowing this--but if the employer is prepared to take that chance, they can.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.