Is it legal to arrest a person for being drunk on private property?

Asked on June 1, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Often people think that if you are drinking on Private property - rather than at a bar, restaurant, etc. - that you are free from police action.  But that is not necessarily true.  The law in California allows the police to fine and arrest inebriated parties on private property under a variety or fact patterns.  Sticking truly depends on the facts and what the police officer articulates in the report.  Seek legal help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.