Is it legal in wisconsin to perform your own wedding vows without having to hire someone to do it?

After we file the proper paperwork and information and paid the fees, to obtain a marriage license in the state of Wisconsin, can we perform our own wedding vows? We are both in our 50’s and want it short, sweet and intimate between the two of us. We have been together for 12 years. Do we actually have to hire someone to officiallly perform the ceremony?

Asked on June 28, 2009 under Family Law, Wisconsin


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  Marriage is a legal contract between two people and has legal implications most of which deal with tax.  If you want to have the tax benefits, then i suggest that you go to a justice of the peace at the local town hall.  they can perform the simply short and sweet ceremony and you can walk out and have a valid marriage certificate.  the certificate is what you really need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.