Is it legal for someone to video you without your knowlege on your own property?

My wife and her girlfriends were having a gathering on our backyard deck. One woman is going through a divorce, her husband hired a PI who video taped the event from the woods that border our backyard. This was done without anyone’s knowledge or consent. He was attempting to gather information he could use against her during the divorce. I feel there should be an expectation of privacy while on your own property. To make matters worse my wife works for this man. He has admitted to his wife of hiring the PI and that the tape does exists.

Asked on June 3, 2016 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, this is legal. If it can be seen from someplace where someone can legally be (e.g. a public area or public woods, or a neighboring property), without any need for intrusive means (such as pushing aside a shade or blinds), it can be videotaped from there. Your deck is not private in that regard; this is why people are up in arms over drones, since they can film everything you do in your yard or property from public airspace.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.