Is it legal for the maintenance man to let the police into my apartment whileI was at workwithout my consent or a search warrant?

My husband broke the law; he was arrested then put in jail and let out on bail. He did not return to his court date so now the police is looking for him. They have searched my home at least 3 times before and found nothing. I don’t know where he is but the police are insinuating that they can arrest me to and that I know where he is. So while I was at work the maintenance man let them in again without my being there and without a warrant or my consent. Is this legal? Why are they harassing me? I have a small child to take care of and if I knew where this fool was I would tell them.

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should retain an attorney to help you in this case, if you are being harassed by the police and threatened with arrest.

There are a limited number of situations where the police may enter a home without a warrant, but those typically involve public safety (e.g. there's a belief that there's a hostage or injured person in the home, or someone with weapon who'se about to use it, etc.). Even there were not emergency circumstances which would justify a warrantless entry, then the police would have had no right to enter, and the maintenance man could not legally let them in.

Clearly, if you were harboring or hiding a fugitive, you could be arrested--doing so, or impeding an investigation or police work--is  crime. So the police may legitimately believe you are doing this. However, at a certain point, if they don't have enough to take action and arrest you, their threats or insinuations may turn into harassment or misconduct.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.