What to do if a court appointed caregiver forged my grandfather’s signature on his retirement checks and pocketed all his SSIand retirement money?

My aunt has been court appointed caregiver of my grandfather for 6 years now. She is forging his signature on his retirement checks and pocketing the money is it legal for her to do this?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  So she was appointed as his conservator or the guardian of his estate?  Then she has taken on a great responsibility under the law and no, she can not pocket, as you say, the funds that are supposed to be used to care for him for her own use.  She is breaching her duties under the law. What you can do is to challenge her appointment and request that some one else be appointed on his behalf.  You may also request that she be held to account for the money.  Or the new fiduciary appointed can go after her for it.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.