Is it legal for my neighbor to park and leave so little space for my car to go through even though they parked near the curb?

I came to my home in Long Island Nasssu
County, NY and found that my neighbors were
blocking the roadway. This is a residential
roadway at around 10pm at night. My
neighbors’ cars were parked near the curb on
opposite sides of the road. This was a narrow
residential roadway. Since they parked on both
side of the road, my car has only a few inches
to squeeze past them and drive pass. A few
inches to the left or right, I would have gotten
into a car accident. Is it legal for them to leave
so little space even though they were parked
close to the curb? It’s a two-way narrow street.

Asked on September 29, 2017 under General Practice, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is legal to park anywhere or at any time parking is not prohibited, so long as each car was parked reasonably--for example, "parked close to the curb." Even if that resulted in only a narrow space to squeeze by, if parking was allowed on each side of the street there, and each car was individually parked reasonably, they did nothing wrong. This may be a matter for your city (or in NYC, borough) councel--to petition that parking on street with made alternate side of the street parking or otherwise restricted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.