Is it legal for my employer to hire me and I had anose ring, then months later threaten to fire meif I cannot take it out?

I have been at my current job for 4 months and a few days ago they requested me to take it out because we were being audited. I had no problem do so and I removed it for that day. All of a sudden they tell me that I can’t work with it and this time when I tried to take it out it was stuck because it is now swollen because of me removing it a few days prior. Now they’re telling me that if I can’t get it out I’m fired?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, this legal. An employer may set--and change at will--terms and conditions of employment, including dress codes (which include rules for body art, piercings, etc.). The fact that they used to allow something, including at the time you were hired, does not mean they have to allow it forever after. If you do not comply with their revised dress code or requirements, not only can you be fired, but they choose to fire you "for cause"--for violating company policy--which could result in a denial of unemployment insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.